This super easy vegan quinoa carrot cake makes a delicious and healthy choice for the family. It’s tasty and full of protein, vitamins and antioxidants.
Yields: 12 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
For the cake:
- 3 cups Miski Organics quinoa flour
- 2 cups grated carrots (peeled)
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup non dairy milk
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter substitute, softened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter substitute
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp soy or almond milk
Step by Step:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour, butter substitute, apple sauce, sugar, milk, salt, vanilla extract, baking powder and cinnamon and mix well. Then add the grated carrots and nuts and mix, folding in gently until well combined.
- Pour the batter in a baking pan previously greased and lightly floured and spread evenly. Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester or knife comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Make your frosting: Place butter substitute and vegan cream cheese in a large bowl and mix until smooth. Add vanilla extract, milk, and confectioner’s sugar slowly and continue mixing until all ingredients are well blended.
- Frost with vegan cream cheese frosting, or as an alternative, dust cake with powdered sugar.