What are the essentials of a family holiday? Travel plans, game nights, family traditions and fun! But what really brings the pack together is some incredible food during a big football match, rivalries included.
For Thanksgiving in the United States this year, the NFL returns with its annual triple-header on Thursday, November 24th, 2022, and the teams are set! This tradition of NFL playing on Thanksgiving dates all the way back to 1920. But frankly, due credit to the New York Herald who first named Thanksgiving the official holiday for watching football in 1893!
For all the family drama and football frenzy heading your way this Thanksgiving, here are some super delish vegan snack-etizers. But remember- keep your head in the game.
BUFFALO ‘CHICKEN’ WINGS by The Edgy Veg.
We bet you didn’t think jackfruit could moonlight as chicken wings!
- 2 cups shredded young jackfruit from a can (in water or brine, NOT SYRUP)
- 1 (8 oz. pkg.) vegan cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup vegan Buffalo wings sauce
- ½ cup vegan ranch dressing
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spoon into shallow 1-quart baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes or until mixture is heated through; stir.
- Sprinkle with green onions, if desired, and serve with chips, crackers and/or veggies.
VEGAN JALAPEÑO POPPERS by Plant Perks
Here’s a vegan twist on the spicy jalapeño poppers at Applebee’s or Chili’s.
(Makes 12 jalapeño poppers)
- 12 jalapeños
- 2 containers Plant Perks Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread
- ¼ cup cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 3 green onions, chopped, plus more for garnish
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Vegan ranch, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Holding a jalapeño horizontal, slice off the top third of the pepper lengthwise. Repeat with all the jalapeños and set the tops aside. Arrange the jalapeños on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Use a spoon to carefully scrape away the membranes and seeds from each pepper. You can toss these into your compost bin.
- Finely chop some of the jalapeño tops you set aside earlier, enough to fill ¼ cup (use more if you love heat!) Transfer the chopped jalapeño to a bowl and stir in the Sriracha Cheddar Cheeze Spread, cilantro, and green onion.
- Spoon the cream cheeze filling into each jalapeño. Top with a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and lightly mist with cooking spray.
- Bake the stuffed jalapeños for about 15 minutes, keeping a close eye during the last few minutes of baking. When done, the jalapeños should be tender, and the breadcrumbs should be just barely golden.
- Remove the jalapeño poppers from the oven and sprinkle with a bit more chopped cilantro and green onion. Transfer the jalapeño poppers to a plate and drizzle with vegan ranch, if using. Enjoy immediately!
BAKED TAQUITOS WITH CREAMY SALSA AND GUACAMOLE by The Edgy Veg
Fun fact: Which day in every year are the most avocados sold? The Superbowl!
- 1½ cup vegan nacho cheese sauce
- 20 small corn tortillas
- 1½ cups refried beans
- Sea salt, to taste
- olive oil
- guacamole (recipe below)
- creamy salsa (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a large baking sheet generously with olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat corn tortillas for 10 seconds in the microwave to soften them.
- Spoon roughly 1 Tbsp of refried beans onto the middle of the tortilla. Spread across the middle lengthwise.
- Spoon roughly 1 Tbsp of nacho cheese onto the beans and spread in the same fashion.
- Roll tightly and secure with a toothpick and place on baking sheet seam side down.
- Repeat process until all tortillas are filled, rolled, secured and placed on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the taquitos with olive oil and sprinkle with some sea salt.
- Bake in oven for 15, flip and bake for another 5 minutes, until edges of the taquitos are slightly browned.
- While the taquitos are cooking, prepare the creamy salsa dip, guacamole or any other dip you are using.
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¼ small red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, finely diced
- Handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 jalapēno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Cut the avocados in half. Remove seed. Score the inside of the avocado and scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place into a small-medium size bowl.
- Mash the avocado with a fork.
- Add onion, tomatoes, cilantro and jalapēno if using and mix to combine.
- Add lime juice and salt to taste.
- Enjoy as a dip with chips, and taquitos, or serve with nachos, haystack or any other Mexican dish you love.
Vegan Creamy Salsa Dip
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 seeded & chopped jalapeños (optional)
- Stir together vegan sour cream, salsa and jalapeños in a small bowl.
- Transfer into a small serving dish and serve with chips, taquitos, nachos or veggies.
CANIHUA + QUINOA FLAKE BURGERS by Miski Organics
Speaking of burgers- and you can never have too many – our Canihua + Quinoa Flake Burgers are to die for!
- 1/4 cup Miski Organics Canihua Grains
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Miski Organics White Quinoa Flakes
- 3/4 tsp achiote or annatto powder achiote or annatto paste (by Sombrero Latin Foods)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Peruvian yellow pepper paste (by Sombrero Latin Foods)
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg or 1 flax egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Drain and rinse your black beans.
- Chop your onions and garlic.
- In a large bowl, mash your black beans until almost paste-like.
- Bring a medium saucepan to high heat, add canihua and water, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Process flakes in a food processor.
- Add all ingredients into a big bowl and add your egg or flax egg. Mix with your hands.
- Shape your burgers, cup each ball in your hands and squeeze tightly. Press it into a small patty.
- Put your patties in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350°F.
- For the sauce or “cream”, combine vegan mayonnaise with aji amarillo paste or huacatay paste! (You can order these online)
Decorate your burgers with:
- Your aji creations!
- romaine or leaf lettuce
- sliced onions
Send us a shout out on Facebook or Instagram if you try any of the above recipes! Tag us using #MadewithMiski and share your experience in comments. To substitute ingredients with other healthier alternatives, visit www.miskiorganics.com to check out our wide collection of superfoods and grains.