If you aren’t a resident of the Amazon rain forest or a frequent visitor to health food stores, you have likely not heard of the superfood called Camu Camu. It is an exotic tropical fruit that grows predominantly in the swampy Amazonian regions of Peru, Brazil, Venezuela, Bolivia and Colombia.
Camu Camu is gaining popularity around the world for its impressive nutritional profile. Here’s everything you need to need to know about this Peruvian superfood:
- Vitamin C: The importance of Vitamin C is widely known. It plays an important role in strengthening your immune system and forming collagen, a protein that supports your skin, bones and muscles, amongst other things. Since our body cannot produce its own Vitamin C, it needs to be obtained through external sources. Camu Camu’s Vitamin C content is one of its most significant benefits, with one serving containing 40 times the Vitamin C content of an orange, exceeding the recommended daily intake.
- Iron: Iron is one of the essential minerals required for optimal functioning of your body. It is used to make hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to all parts of the body, and myoglobin, a protein that provides oxygen to muscles. Iron deficiency can lead to anemia amongst other things. Due to the fact that Camu Camu is a great source of iron, incorporating it into your diet on a regular basis may help prevent anemia, increase energy and help prevent greying of hair.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants are substances that protect your cells against free radicals, which are unstable molecules produced when your body is exposed to environmental pressures such as tobacco smoke, radiation, pollution or internal ones such as inflammation. Antioxidants found in Camu Camu may help increase your body’s capacity to limit damage from free radicals and may also help keep your skin looking healthy and young.
- Polyphenols: Polyphenols are a group of plant compounds that are known to have numerous health benefits. Consuming them on a regular basis is said to improve brain health, gut health and it may prevent against heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer. While some of the most popular sources of polyphenols are red wine, dark chocolate and berries, Camu Camu offers a significant amount as well.
- Medicinal Use: The medicinal properties of Camu Camu have been put to great use for centuries. This superfruit has been used to treat infections such as the common cold, severe fatigue, certain eye conditions such a glaucoma and cataracts, asthma and atherosclerosis which is the hardening of arteries, just to name a few. Due to its aforementioned Vitamin C content, it’s a perfect addition to your diet during the cold and flu season.
So, now you know all the wonderful benefits of Camu Camu…the superfood with a name so nice, you have to say it twice! Because of its tart and sour flavour, Camu Camu is typically consumed in the form of powder, which can be added to smoothies, yogurts or salad dressings.
At Miski Organics®, all our superfoods are sourced from its natural habitat in Peru and packaged in Canada. Shop our organic Camu Camu powder and explore a wide range of other Peruvian superfoods at Miski Organics®, brought from the heart of the land to the heart of your home®.